In today’s episode, we cover assertive self-talk with Gary John Bishop. Gary is one of the world’s leading personal development experts and the author of New York Times best-seller, Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and into Your Life.
How you talk to yourself can mean the difference between success and failure, but what is the “right way” to talk to yourself, how do you avoid negative self-talk, and what can you start doing today to build the future you want and deserve?
What to Listen For
- What can you do to overcome a victim mentality so it doesn’t set you up for failure moving forward?
- What can we do to overcome the victim mentality many of us feel after during or after a shitstorm like 2020?
- Why is changing our behavior crucial to changing our lives and why is positive thinking not enough?
- Why is it important for your own development to seek out challenges that force you out of your comfort zone?
- What is the difference between assertive self-talk and narrative self-talk, and why should you avoid one because it sets you up for failure?
- Why do words matter when it comes to describing our life experience and how do we choose words that don’t set us up for failure?
- What is wisdom and what can you do to become wise?
- What can you do to not get bitter or salty as you get older?
- What is a shitstorm and how do they help us develop strength and wisdom?
- What great exercise can you start doing today to be more positive about your future?
The words we use to describe ourselves and the world around us determine how we live our lives and express ourselves to the people we meet, so the language we use can set us up for success or failure, and beyond that, your language must be backed up by action or all the words in the world won’t save you from disaster. Everyday we wake up, we are hitting the reset button and have the opportunity to take steps toward where we want to be, or take steps away from it by doing the same things we’ve always done.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Resources from this Episode
- Gary John Bishop’s website
- Wise As Fu*k by Gary John Bishop
- Unfu*k Yourself by Gary John Bishop
- Stop Doing That Sh*t by Gary John Bishop
- Do The Work by Gary John Bishop
Check in with AJ and Johnny!