In today’s episode, we cover trust and cooperation with Abbie Maroño. Abbie is the Director of Education at Social-Engineer, is a lecturer in Psychology, has a PhD in Behavior Analysis, was mentored by the body language expert Joe Navarro, and performs academic research specializing in nonverbal communication, trust, and cooperation.
Trust is important because our survival depends on our ability to cooperate with the people around us, so why do we place a strong emphasis on competition, what signals should we look for to determine someone’s trustworthiness, and how do we build trust in the first place?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is the definition of trust according to modern science?
- How fast can trust be built and destroyed?
- The big myth about competition and survival of the fittest – 10:10
- What do we get wrong about competition vs cooperation in modern society, and why does this misconception lead to unhappiness and discontent in the workplace?
- What nonverbal signals should you look for to determine if someone is trustworthy?
- The trust problem with Zoom and Facetime – 24:52
- What 3 common mistakes should you avoid when talking to someone through a video call if you want to build trust and comfort?
- How does your lower body signal your approachability to the people around you, and how should you be standing if you want to be approachable?
- How to rebuild trust – 37:48
- What is the best way to apologize and rebuild trust after you break it?
- What are the biggest myths surrounding eye contact and trust?
Trust is essential for both our personal and professional lives, but it can be difficult to build and easy to destroy. By understanding the signals we send when it comes to trustworthiness, we can take the necessary steps to build trust or rebuild trust after it’s been broken. And by fostering a cooperative environment, we can create happier relationships and more productive teams.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalog when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you? That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone? Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Abbie Maroño’s website
- Abbie Maroño on Twitter
- Abbie Maroño on LinkedIn
- Joe Navarro | Become an Exceptional Communicator by Mastering These 5 Traits
- The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals by Charles Darwin
Check in with AJ and Johnny!