Many of life’s most powerful lessons come from stories of men and women living through dark and ugly periods in history – but why do we relate to these stories so strongly, what’s the best way to tell a story from your own life about adversity or a struggle you endured, and how do you know when such a story is ready to be told?
What to Listen For
- What story from history first hooked Daniele Bolleli into pursuing history?
- How do you remove the bias or spin from news stories in today’s digital era?
- What made Daniele Bolelli realize he wanted to start podcasting?
- How do you tell a story in a way that people actually care about the characters involved?
- How do you find or build in a hook when you’re trying to figure out the best way to tell a story?
- How do you balance the dark side of a story with the lighthearted side so neither one pushes the audience away?
- What can you do to add humor to dark stories in a way that doesn’t feel forced or out of place?
- What can you look for in a story you want to tell if you want to know if it’s ready to be told?
- How has Daniele Bolelli’s experience in podcasting influenced his own personal storytelling?
Stories from history provide us with archetypes and allow us a glimpse into the human spirit to see what we’re capable of when faced with insurmountable odds or overwhelming tragedy. And one of the most valuable lessons we can take away from all of the stories from history is that everyone involved was human. This is important to remember because we as humans have a habit of disconnecting from people who have accomplished great things and committed great atrocities. When we’re able to identify with the person on a basic level we can be inspired to act as well as develop empathy for those whose lives lead them down dark paths.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Hiring used to be hard. Multiple job sites, stacks of resumes, a confusing review process. But today, hiring can be easy and you only have to go to one place to get it done: ziprecruiter.com/charm. ZipRecruiter is so effective that 4 out of 5 of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site within the first day.
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!