If you’re wondering how to know if a girl likes you, join the club. Whether you’re chatting up a stranger at the bar or seeing a movie with a female friend, you may find yourself losing your mind trying to figure out whether the woman smiling at you is a potential lover, casual friend or even condescending sympathizer. It can be really frustrating.
When it comes to determining whether or not a woman is actually attracted to you, you must first get out of your head and into the moment. If you’re frantically analyzing your next move or your next witty remark, you’re going to miss the signs that are right in front of you.
Here are a few ways that you can gain a better sense as to whether or not your Miss Right (or Miss Right Now) is truly interested. Bear in mind that none of these signs automatically means that all systems are go, but if she gives you multiple signals from this list, you may want to consider elevating the interaction to a more intimate level.
1) Positive body language. This is your biggest indicator of attraction. Women will show their attraction, whether consciously or unconsciously, with their bodies. If she’s interested, she will likely face you directly, so that she can give you her undivided attention, rather than turning away from you in any direction. She may also become more feminine, twirling her hair or gently stroking her neck, or giving other subtle signs that she’s interested.
2) Reciprocation. When you invest in the conversation and give her all you’ve got, does she respond in kind? If she’s positively responsive and reciprocates your enthusiasm, this can definitely indicate attraction. But if she’s clearly just being polite, or awkwardly looking around the room, the feelings probably aren’t mutual.
3) Smiling. Notice how much she smiles when interacting with you, as opposed to how much she smiles around other people. This is key, because some women naturally smile during conversation, and it doesn’t automatically indicate attraction. But if she smiles more when interacting with you, good news! If she consistently laughs at your jokes, even when they aren’t funny, this is also good news.
4) Touching. When a woman is attracted to a man, quite often she will become physical. “Accidental touching” can be a subtle sign of attraction, and so can playful touching, like ruffling your hair or squeezing your shoulder.
5) Consistent eye contact. This is a big one. If she’s attracted to you, her eye contact may seem strong, piercing, and even slightly uncomfortable if you aren’t used to that kind of undivided attention. She may also stare at you even when you aren’t looking, and this can be a good sign as well.