Rituals are powerful tools cultures have used for all of recorded history to strengthen group bonds, so how do rituals bring us closer, why are rituals so commonly associated with religion, and what can you do to develop your own rituals to bring you and your family and friends closer together?
What to Listen For
- Why is it so important to encourage curiosity in children and what can you do to impart a sense of curiosity in your kids?
- Why is a tolerance for ambiguity difficult but crucial in the scientific search for knowledge and understanding of the world around us?
- What was it like growing up as the child of Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan?
- How do we use rituals to deal with change and how can you use rituals to minimize the suffering you will experience throughout life?
- What should you say to someone who has just lost a loved one and doesn’t necessarily hold religious beliefs about an afterlife?
- What rituals can we use to help us cope with painful events in life and why can not having a ritual amplify the intensity and duration of the pain?
- How can having a simple regular ritual strengthen your relationships and what fun easy ritual can you start using today?
- What is the difference between a routine and a ritual?
- How can you get children involved in building family rituals so everyone is involved and the family grows stronger?
- What can you do to remix old traditions or even create new ones you can use to build meaning in the big and small moments of your life?
- How do you tell the difference between cynicism and skepticism, and why can that understanding completely change your view of people?
The word ritual is on many occasions associated with religion. That’s a logical jump to make considering how ritualistic many religions are. But rituals can be any kind of practice or routine you use on a regular basis to be present and share a moment or event with yourself or other people. We can create and use rituals in our lives to help us celebrate certain moments. We don’t have to use religious holidays to celebrate certain times of the year, as cultures have been creating their own holidays and celebrations since the dawn of man. And no one’s stopping you from celebrating the rituals of your faith(s) and creating some rituals of your own to celebrate your family or friends or even just yourself.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
The Pod by Eight Sleep is the only bed that automatically adjusts the temperature throughout the night, so you can get your deepest, most comfortable sleep. If you want to try the Pod by EightSleep, right now our listeners get $150 off their purchase plus free shipping – just go to eightsleep.com/CHARM now and start getting a better night’s rest.
Resources from this Episode
Value Driven Success Video Training by The Art of Charm
For Small Creatures Such as We by Sasha Sagan
The Art of Charm Bootcamp
Sasha Sagan’s website
Sasha Sagan on Twitter
Sasha Sagan on Instagram
Check in with AJ and Johnny!
AJ on Instagram
Johnny on Instagram
The Art of Charm on Instagram
The Art of Charm on YouTube