Adversity has shaped humanity into who we are now – the most dominant and inventive species on this planet – so what can you do to stop looking at adversity as a roadblock and start looking at it as a necessity to becoming who you want to become?
What to Listen For
- How can you know when you should trust your gut and when you should trust logic?
- What can you do to develop your own sense of intuition?
- Why is embarrassment integral to learning and mastery of a skill?
- What are the biggest social skills deficits in the workplace today and what should you focus on if you don’t want to lose out on that next job or promotion?
- What areas of your life should you focus on if hard work is not enough to get ahead in today’s world?
- How do you make your own privilege and create advantages for yourself in life that no one can take away from you?
- Why is it so important to think about the intent of a message vs the impact?
- What can you do to build advantages against biases people might have toward you?
- What is Laura Huang’s EDGE acronym stand for and how can you use it to gain an edge over your competition?
- How do you ask questions at a new job without coming across as incompetent?
If we lived in a world without adversity, what challenges would you face to make you a better person mentally, emotionally, and physically? Many of us wish our lives were easy (or easier) but might not realize how important it is to our development that we are challenged on a regular basis. Unless you experience disappointment, how can you learn to set expectations? Unless you lose someone you care about, how can you learn how to cope with loss?
Every time you are faced with adversity, it is an opportunity to learn something about yourself and life. You are the product of billions of years of life facing adversity and adapting to deal with it – there’s no reason it has to stop now that you’re stressed out about a job promotion or exam. Face your challenges head-on, use them to your advantage, and learn from them.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!