“Some lack the fickleness to live as they wish and just live as they have begun.” – Seneca
Obstacles are inevitable. Life throws random things at you at unexpected moments. You don’t control such random events, but what you can control is your reaction to it. Learn the things that you can control, and act upon it so that you can turn obstacles into advantages or learning opportunities.
Ryan Holiday joins us to talk about turning obstacles into opportunity. When he was 19 he dropped out of college. He has served as a marketing director for American Apparel, advised many authors and musicians, and his campaigns have been used by big companies like Google and Twitter. Today he writes about media strategies and business.
Ryan and Jordan also discuss:
- Turning obstacles into advantages.
- How famous historical characters viewed obstacles and turned them into strengths.
- Why Twitter’s key feature might be a bug.
- How to control our perceptions and emotions and see things as they are.
- Understanding the difference between what we can and can’t control.
- How an ancient principle can steel us and make us immune to failure.
- Why something can become a problem depending upon how you look at it.
- How to re-frame events and turn disaster into opportunity.
Flipping an obstacle around can be advantageous. Regard the current setback as an opportunity and not a disaster, then you’ll be well on your way to making the most of the situation. This isn’t just motivational, but instructive. Have a listen and learn to persevere like a champ.
Resources from this episode
You’ll also like:
- The Art of Charm Bootcamps
- Best of The Art of Charm Podcast
- The Art of Charm Toolbox
- The Art of Charm Toolbox for Women
On your phone? Click here to write us a well-deserved iTunes review and help us outrank the riffraff!