Authenticity is a powerful concept because many of us are scared of what other people might think of us if we were to be as weird as we know we are all the time, and consequently many of us hide the fun and interesting bits that make us who we are – so why do we care, why should we stop putting so much emphasis on what we think others want us to be, and what can you do when every social platform is signaling to you that the only parts worth living are the ones that get the most likes?
What to Listen For
- What does it mean to be a disruptive innovator?
- How do you educate people without being preachy?
- What can you do to build up a tolerance for rejection so you don’t miss out on countless opportunities just because you walked away at “no”?
- If you have perfectionist tendencies, what can you do to make sure it doesn’t stop you from completing something or just moving on without it?
- What can you do if you feel like you are trying to fit yourself into a box that society wants for you rather than what YOU want for you?
- What does it mean to be more authentic in today’s world where so many people are encouraged to instead put on a show to get other people’s attention?
- How can you flip negative emotions on their heads with one simple trick?
- What can you do to encourage others to tell their stories without resorting to 1-2 sentence responses?
- How can you ask questions that evoke thoughtful responses instead of 1-2 words?
- What mental exercise can you do before any important thing or event you have coming up in your life to make sure you’re genuinely present and relaxed?
- What can you do to come across as open and friendly without making people think you’re inviting them to ask you out?
- How do you politely reject someone who asks you out, especially in a work environment?
- What’s the best way to make a career change when you realize you’re not happy with the job you thought would bring you happiness?
- How do you handle the argumentative person who constantly questions others’ beliefs?
What are you supposed to do when people are telling you you should always strive to be genuine while society clearly shows us we’ll be rewarded if we present a curated image of ourselves to everyone on social media? We live in a tricky time with technology developing as quickly as it is. The tools we are inventing are beginning to control us and highlight our weaknesses as human beings, but will we overcome these weaknesses or implode because of them?
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Resources from this Episode
Miki Agrawal’s website
Disrupt-Her: A Manifesto for the Modern Woman by Miki Agrawal
Be Here Now by Ram Dass
Check in with AJ and Johnny!
AJ on Instagram
Johnny on Instagram
The Art of Charm on Instagram
The Art of Charm on YouTube