Chris Guillebeau (@chrisguillebeau) rejoins us to explain what a side hustle is and what a side hustle isn’t as outlined in his new book Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days.
The Cheat Sheet:
- Understand why you don’t need to be an “all-in” entrepreneur to have a side hustle.
- Learn how to take inventory of your existing skills and how they can be applied to your first side hustle.
- Wrap your head around what a side hustle is and what a side hustle isn’t.
- Aside from generating a little (or a lot of) extra spending money, discover the other benefits of a side hustle.
- Figure out how to pick your best side hustle idea to pursue based on certain criteria.
- And so much more…
These days, everyone’s talking about the importance of having a side hustle. But there are many misconceptions about the process, a lot of people have tried before and failed (so they feel like there’s something wrong with them), and most resources in this field focus on telling people to be entrepreneurs — and that’s a totally different thing.
Chris Guillebeau rejoins us (check out his last appearance on the show here) to talk about his new book Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days. It provides us with a plan to start our own side hustle using skills we already have — and without spending much money to make it happen. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Skip Netflix tonight and join the millions of students learning and growing on Skillshare today — AoC listeners get one month of Skillshare free by signing up at skillshare.com/charm!
Whether you’re a lady or a gent, you don’t need to know what MicroModal fabric is to enjoy the comfort of MeUndies; you just need to wear them — support this show (and yourself) with MeUndies here for 20% off!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Now save a whopping 50% on new webhosting packages here with HostGator by using coupon code CHARM!
Rhone makes gear for the modern man who demands modern style, comfort, and quality. Click here or go to rhone.com and enter promo code CHARM at checkout to get 20% off your first purchase!
Free yourself from typing notes, reports, and documents by going with the transcriptionists we trust here at AoC: TranscriptionOutsourcing.net — 99% or higher accuracy guaranteed!
More About This Show
These days, everybody’s got (or is thinking about getting) a side hustle — a little side business that generates money beyond what a dedicated day job affords. But even if you think a side hustle’s not really your style for any number of excuses, Chris Guillebeau — author of Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days — is here to tell you otherwise.
“This book is not for entrepreneurs,” says Chris. “I’m deliberately trying to write for regular people who have jobs and just want to create more security for themselves. They don’t necessarily want to have a startup or be an entrepreneur or quit their job tomorrow or anything like that.”
So what’s the difference between a side hustle and a part-time job? Chris believes a side hustle should help an individual develop their own assets under their own control. Contrast this with increasingly common participation in today’s so-called gig economy — driving for a ridesharing service or delivering sundries on behalf of a larger entity — which Chris says is more akin to a glorified part-time job than a true side hustle.
“I’m trying to make this for busy people who don’t want to work forty hours for their job and then go and work twenty hours for somebody else,” Chris says. “What I’m trying to help people do essentially is to create an asset for themselves and to be able to create something that they look at and say, ‘I made that thing. I have control over it; nobody can take it away.'”
One of the biggest misconceptions about side hustles is that they originate from a place of contempt. Many in the entrepreneurial crowd would have you believe you’re sucker if you actually like your day job. If you’re not working for yourself these days, and if you’re not willing to risk all worldly possessions for a chance at the high-risk, high-reward lifestyle, there must be something wrong with you.
“You can do this with the skills you already have without spending a lot of money in a short period of time,” says Chris. “Look at the amount of time you’re spending and the small amount of money you’re investing. If it doesn’t work, then you’re going to have a learning experience; you can go on to do something else. But what if it does work? What if it does actually have the potential to change your life and do something amazing for you?”
Listen to this episode of The Art of Charm to learn more about what you can gain by not going “all in” the first time you come up with what seems like a feasible side hustle, how to know when it is time to go all in, how to know when it’s time to give up on a side hustle, bad advice given often by entrepreneurial “experts” that you should ignore for the sake of your own health and sanity, how limited time and resources can be a boon rather than a burden when experimenting with a side hustle, and lots more.
THANKS, CHRIS GUILLEBEAU!
If you enjoyed this session with Chris Guillebeau, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
Resources from This Episode:
- Transcript for this episode
- Worksheet for this episode
- Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days by Chris Guillebeau
- Side Hustle School
- Chris Guillebeau | Born for This (Episode 501)
- Other books by Chris Guillebeau
- World Domination Summit
- Chris Guillebeau’s website
- Chris Guillebeau at Facebook
- Chris Guillebeau at Instagram
- Chris Guillebeau at Twitter
- The Gig Economy Celebrates Working Yourself to Death by Jia Tolentino, The New Yorker
- Jeff Goins | Real Artists Don’t Starve (Episode 662)
- AoC Toolbox | The Art of Grit (Episode 620)
You’ll Also Like:
- The Art of Charm Challenge (click here or text AOC to 38470 in the US)
- The Art of Charm Bootcamps
- Elite Human Dynamics
- Best of The Art of Charm Podcast
- The Art of Charm Toolbox
- The Art of Charm Toolbox for Women
- Find out more about the team who makes The Art of Charm podcast here!
- Follow The Art of Charm on social media: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- Follow Jordan Harbinger on social media: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
On your phone? Click here to write us a well-deserved iTunes review and help us outrank the riffraff!