“There are no strangers here, only friends you haven’t met yet.” – William Butler
Think about it – at one point in time, everyone in our lives was a stranger – even our closest friend.
Whether we are trying to strike up a conversation at a networking event, meeting someone at a bar, or just talking to your barista, the art of talking to strangers comes alive every day.
In today’s episode, we aren’t just discussing how to talk to strangers, but why doing so can improve our lives and increase our happiness. We will breakdown how to start a conversation with a stranger anytime and anywhere, even how to talk to a female stranger.
The Cheat Sheet
- How can we use the F-E-A-R acronym to help define the types of fear fueling our anxieties? 10:47
- Fusion 11:11 Expectations 19:26 Avoidance 30:48 Remoteness 34:47
- What do Silicon Valley CEOs know about the influence of technology and connection? 13:17
- Why is talking to strangers essential to growing our personal and professional networks? 37:46
- How does talking to strangers bring out the best in us? 47:00
- Could simply saying hello be the most underrated icebreaker? 53:57
“Most people aren’t going to give you a no, they’re going to respond to a hello” – AJ Harbinger
Talkspace has over 2,000 licensed therapists who are experienced in addressing life challenges we all face. To match with a perfect therapist for a fraction of the price of traditional therapy, go to talkspace.com/charm, and use the code CHARM to get $45 off your first month and show your support for this show.
Acuity Scheduling is your online assistant, working 24/7 to fill your schedule. The AoC family can go to AcuityScheduling.com/AOC to get 45-days free — that’s over three times as long as the standard trial.
Problems hiring? ZipRecruiter is the highest-rated hiring site in America. Try for FREE at ziprecruiter.com/charm where ZipRecruiter will send your job to 100+ of the web’s leading job boards.
Blinkist gives you access to key insights from 2,500+ bestselling nonfiction books, transformed into powerful packs you can read or listen to in just 15 minutes. Go to Blinkist.com/AOC to start your free trial or get three months off your yearly plan when you join today.
- AoC Episode 710 – The Art of Breaking the Ice
- The Happiness Trap by Dr. Russ Harris
- “Hello Stranger” by Elizabeth Dunn and Michael Norton
- “How to Talk to Strangers” by Kio Stark
- “Why You Should Talk to Strangers” TedTalk by Kio Stark
- When Strangers Meet TedBook by Kio Stark
Keep up with The Art of Charm
- The Art of Charm Insiders
- Best of The Art of Charm Podcast
- The Art of Charm Toolbox
- On social media: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
Enjoying what you hear? Your reviews are essential to us and for those who haven’t discovered The Art of Charm podcast yet. Click here to share your Art of Charm experience.
We tried something new with show notes this week. Do you like the condensed format? Let us know what you think here