The best networkers prepare for networking events in order to get the most out of them, but how do you go about preparing for a networking event, what are the do’s and don’ts of networking, and is your first impression shooting you in the foot before you even open your mouth?
What to Listen For
- What are the do’s and don’ts of networking?
- How do you handle a networking event if you’re an introvert?
- What can you do to prepare for a networking event, and do you even need to?
- How can a bad (or even a neutral) first impression ruin your chances of success at a networking event and what can you do to make a fantastic first impression instead?
- What kind of research should you do before a networking event?
- How do you set yourself up for success before and/or during a networking event?
- How do you choose what to wear for a networking event, and what should you avoid wearing?
- Where should you hang out at networking events if you want to have the best chance of talking to the individuals you’re trying to meet?
- Why is it a mistake to make a pitch or try to close a deal when you meet someone at a networking event?
- What game can you play to make networking opportunities fun and productive?
- Why is it hurting you to think about what you can take from networking opportunities rather than what you can give?
- What should you do after a networking event to help you process and learn from the experience?
- Why is it damaging to your networking potential if you can’t explain what you do in simple terms?
- What should your elevator pitch attempt to accomplish and why do so many of us focus on the wrong parts?
- Why do most people fail when it comes to networking and what can you do to set yourself apart from them?
- How soon after meeting someone at a networking event should you start working on the follow-up?
- What is a pre-event and how can you plan a simple one to your advantage, setting you apart from most people at a networking event?
Networking is like many endeavors in this world – your results depend on how much work you’re willing to put in. The best networkers prepare for every networking event by making sure their first impression is on point, they know who is going to attend and who they want to meet, they understand how to connect and pitch themselves, and most importantly, they follow up.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Hiring used to be hard. Multiple job sites, stacks of resumes, a confusing review process. But today, hiring can be easy and you only have to go to one place to get it done: ziprecruiter.com/charm. ZipRecruiter is so effective that 4 out of 5 of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site within the first day.
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!