(Download Episode Here)
About This Episode
Positive psychology is a relatively new area of study and it’s garnered a ton of attention over the last few years – but what exactly is positive psychology, how is it connected to the relationships we have, and what can you start doing today to find more fulfillment, happiness, and success in life?
What to Listen For
- What are the core teachings of positive psychology and how can you implement them to get through the lows of life?
- What is the danger of identifying yourself with work or hobbies or relationships and if those are not ideal, where should you draw your identity from?
- Rob Mack touches on cognitive agility and emotional regulation and why those two ideas help explain why so many people suffer from addiction
- Why is it unhealthy to perceive relationships as something to “complete” you and how should you look at them instead?
- What can you say to someone who is clearly playing the victim and help them move beyond it?
- What is the one thing we know about the effective therapies around the world and how can you use it to ensure you don’t push people away?
- Why can comparing yourself to others be detrimental to your happiness and how can you avoid the comparison trap?
- What can you do to make life cooperate with you and make those challenging times more manageable?
- How can you interact with toxic people in a manner that allows you to maintain your positive attitude?
Happiness is both a choice itself, as well as the result of choices you make in various areas of your life. To be as happy as you want to be, you must take full responsibility for everything in your life, and that includes everything that happens to you. The more blame you try to shift onto other people and things, the more power you give away, and that power is what enables you to choose your happiness.
On top of that, the people you spend time with absolutely have an influence over your ability to choose your happiness, making it harder or easier to make that choice. You can be happy and fulfilled around toxic people, but if it’s easier to be happy when you’re around people who support and encourage you and choose to engage you in positive conversations, why would you want to spend your time with anything but?
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Go to untuckit.com or visit one of UNTUCKit’s 50 stores across the US and Canada. Use promo code CHARM for 20% off your first purchase.
Squarespace is the all-in-one solution for anyone looking to create a beautiful website. Check out squarespace.com/CHARM for a free trial and when you’re ready to launch, use the offer code CHARM to save 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain”
Joybird is premium quality furniture, customized exactly how you want it. Go to joybird.com/CHARM and receive an exclusive offer for 25% off your first order by using the code CHARM.
Blinkist gives you access to key insights from 2,500+ bestselling nonfiction books, transformed into powerful packs you can read or listen to in just 15 minutes. Go to blinkist.com/aoc to start your FREE trial or get 3 months off your yearly plan.
Resources from this Episode
Happiness from the Inside Out: The Art and Science of Fulfillment
Check in with AJ and Johnny!
AJ on Instagram
Johnny on Instagram