In today’s episode, we cover decision making with Annie Duke. Annie is a former professional poker player and won more than $4 million in tournament poker before retiring from the game in 2012. She is a corporate speaker, consultant in the decision-making space, and the author of How to Decide: Simple Tools for Making Better Choices.
Decision making is a skill we all use everyday but one that few of us master, so why is the skill of decision making overlooked, what can you do to master it, and what can we learn about decision making from a professional poker player?
What to Listen For
- What can you do to improve your ability to read other people?
- How do professional poker players read people and what can you learn from their perspective?
- What is one common way most people are not good listeners?
- What lessons can you learn from poker players who can fake their confidence when they know they don’t have the winning hand?
- What can you do to be confident in situations where you don’t feel confident in your ability to succeed?
- What is the main problem we have as decision makers and how can we prevent it from leading us to failure in the future?
- What technique can you use to stop making bad decisions now that you won’t be ashamed of tomorrow?
Every decision we make is an educated guess because we can’t have all the necessary information to make “the best” decision. Simultaneously, if you were to attempt to gather every bit of information in order to make a decision, you would end up spending the rest of your life in analysis paralysis without ever making some of the more insignificant decisions we must make on a daily basis. We must have a consistent approach to decision making so we can make each decision with confidence, learn from our mistakes, and move forward with more experience so we can make better decisions in the future.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Resources from this Episode
- Annie Duke’s website
- How to Decide: Simple Tools for Making Better Choices by Annie Duke
- Annie Duke on Twitter
Check in with AJ and Johnny!