Right now, we’d like to thank the sponsor of this episode: LifeMD. Looking to lose weight and improve your health? Embrace your journey towards a healthier and happier you, and achieve lasting sustainable weight loss with LifeMD by your side. Visit lifemd.com/CHARM to get started!
In today’s episode, we cover thinking fast and talking smarter with Matt Abrahams. Matt is a leading communication expert with decades of experience as an educator, author, and coach. As a Lecturer at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business, he teaches popular classes on strategic communication and effective virtual presenting. He hosts the award-winning podcast Think Fast, Talk Smart, and is the author of the book Speaking Up without Freaking Out, as well as his newest book Think Faster, Talk Smarter: How to Speak Successfully When You’re Put on the Spot.
Being able to think on your feet in every conversation can yield life-changing opportunities and relationships, so how does maximizing mediocrity better prepare you to think on your feet, what is the 3 step framework to listening so you know how to respond, and what is the secret to gracefully exiting any conversation so you avoid awkward goodbyes?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is the anxiety spiral and how does it trip you up in critical moments?
- What 3 ways does anxiety manifest and how do you deal with each one so they don’t trip you up in important conversations?
- This common practice works against you – 9:59
- What is scripting and why should you avoid it if you want to make a great first impression?
- How do you communicate effectively when people’s attention spans are still on the decline?
- Having this mindset makes communication effortless – 22:41
- Why is storytelling important when it comes to communicating and building relationships, and how do you get better at telling stories?
- What 3 simple questions can you ask yourself to provide the perfect response to any communication?
- The secret to make small talk impactful when it counts – 31:39
- How do you make small talk fun and meaningful for everyone you talk to so it leads to better relationships and more opportunities?
- What is the “white flag” trick to leave any conversation without making it awkward?
- How to fix a mistake when mis-speaking in a crucial moment – 44:16
- What should you do if you make a mistake in an important conversation or presentation? How do you acknowledge it without making the situation worse?
A Word From Our Sponsors
Planet Money is a different kind of world where the complex economy actually makes sense; where human stories supersede abstract theories. Listeners can learn, laugh, and be entertained. It’s economics, down to earth.
Tune in to Planet Money every week for entertaining stories and insights about how money shapes our world. Stories that can’t be found anywhere else.
$75 SPONSORED JOB CREDIT to upgrade your job post at Indeed.com/CHARM. Offer good for a limited time.
Curious about your influence level?
Get your Influence Index Score today!
Take this 60-second quiz to find out how your influence stacks up against top performers at theartofcharm.com/influence
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you?
That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone?
Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Think Faster, Talk Smarter: How to Speak Successfully When You’re Put on the Spot by Matt Abrahams
- Think Fast, Talk Smart: Communication Techniques Lecture
- Matt Abrahams’s website