In today’s episode, we cover procrastination and perfectionism with Jennifer Kemp. Jennifer is a leading expert on perfectionism and builds flexibility and self-compassion when working with therapeutic clients.
Many of us experience perfectionism in different ways but they all hold us back from where we want to be, so what are the different ways perfectionism shows up in your life, what are the warning signs your perfectionism is unhealthy, and what can you do to overcome your perfectionism?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is unhelpful perfectionism and how is it different from the perfectionism we understand today?
- What 4 signs can you look for to identify whether your perfectionism is healthy or not?
- The importance of adapting vs perfecting – 13:40
- How does the pursuit of perfection lead to less progression when you’re trying to learn or improve a skill?
- What classes can you take to improve your conversational ability, sense of humor, and perfectionism?
- What makes Art of Charm training programs so effective – 25:39
- How do AoC alumni maintain their development after the program so they don’t fall back into their old behavior?
- How does skill development become self-reinforcing so it feels fun rather than a lot of work?
- The warning signs of perfectionism – 39:20
- How is perfectionism linked to other mental health issues and how can you identify them?
- What exercises can you do if you’re struggling with a harsh inner critic?
Is perfectionism keeping you from the success you’re after? You’re not alone. Perfectionism can show up in your life in several ways, including procrastination. Perfectionism can be a strength when it helps you create quality results, but it’s not doing you any favors if it stops you from taking action.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalog when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!