In today’s episode, we cover what it takes to be a Green Beret with Nick Lavery. Nick is an active duty member of the United States Army Special Forces. On his 2nd combat rotation to Afghanistan 10 years ago, he and his detachment fell victim to an insider attack that led to Nick losing his leg. Refusing a military medical retirement, Nick set his sights on returning to operational status. Nick is considered the 1st special forces operator to return to combat as an above-the-knee amputee. Lastly, he’s the author of the book Objective Secure: The Battle-Tested Guide to Goal Achievement.
The Green Berets are the elite special forces of the U.S. Army, but what separates the elite from the rest, why is relationship building critical to the Green Beret’s mission success, and what does it take to rapidly build trust and camaraderie with people across different cultures and language barriers?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- Why did Nick Lavery enlist in the Army Special Forces?
- Most people never enlist this way – 11:30
- What separates the Green Berets from other special operations forces in the military?
- How do elite special forces learn to rapidly develop trust with people across different cultures and language barriers?
- The military secret to building unbreakable teams – 23:26
- What do elite special forces do to forge bonds among teams to ensure mission success in life or death situations?
- The only Green Beret to return to active duty without a leg – 27:27
- How did Nick Lavery lose a leg and return to active duty as the only Green Beret with an above-knee amputation?
- The moment he rejoined his band of brothers – 46:15
- What was it like for Nick to finally rejoin his team of Green Berets?
- The 3 reasons soldiers crave the chaos of war when they’re away from the battlefield
- The key to building relationships that most people overlook – 1:01:30
- What do most people not do when they’re trying to build new relationships?
- How do you crush self-doubt like the elite special forces?
Planet Money is a different kind of world where the complex economy actually makes sense; where human stories supersede abstract theories. Listeners can learn, laugh, and be entertained. It’s economics, down to earth.
Tune in to Planet Money every week for entertaining stories and insights about how money shapes our world. Stories that can’t be found anywhere else.
A Word From Our Sponsors
$75 SPONSORED JOB CREDIT to upgrade your job post at Indeed.com/CHARM. Offer good for a limited time.
Are you looking to improve your EQ with elite human dynamics?
17 years ago we decided to curate the latest science and research in human dynamics and deliver it free to you.
We’ve learned that…
Your ability to stand out, build rapport and influence the people around you is what gets you, noticed, respected and admired.
So whether or not you’re introverted or extroverted your communication skills can always be improved.
If influence and charm come natural for you, great but for others it’s a skill that can be learned.
After coaching over 10,000 clients on how to communicate powerfully we’ve learned a thing or two about what it actually takes to be influential and persuasive.
We’ve packaged these insights inside a masterclass Social Capital Networking. And, as a thank you for being a podcast listener, we want to give you this kit for FREE.
Inside Social Capital Networking, you’ll get three resources to help build high-value relationships quickly and grow your social capital.
To get your hands on this kit and immediately start improving your relationships, go to theartofcharm.com/capital
Curious about your influence level?
Get your Influence Index Score today!
Take this 60-second quiz to find out how your influence stacks up against top performers at theartofcharm.com/influence
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you?
That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone?
Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!