In today’s episode, we cover influence with Zoe Chance. Zoe is a teacher, writer, researcher, climate philanthropist, earned her doctorate from Harvard, teaches Mastering Influence and Persuasion, the most popular class at the Yale School of Management, and is the author of Influence is Your Superpower: The Science of Winning Hearts, Sparking Change, and Making Good Things Happen.
Influencing the people around you is a superpower, but how do you develop that ability through your charisma, what common mistakes are you making that kill your charisma, and what is the most important skill you need to influence people?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- Why is your ability to influence others a superpower?
- What are the three paradoxes of charisma?
- Anti-charismatic statements – 15:15
- What are diminishing statements, why do so many of us use them, and how do they kill your charisma?
- Charming vs Manipulating – 23:14
- How can you tell the difference between people using strategies and tactics to build genuine connections and using them to manipulate others to get what they want?
- How do you say no if you’re a people pleaser and what can you do to get comfortable with saying no?
- What does it mean to reframe something? – 32:30
- What is reframing and why is it a powerful tool in communication?
- What is the worst way to try and get someone to see your point of view?
- The levels of listening – 47:30
- What are the 5 levels of listening, and which level is the most important if you’re trying to connect with someone?
You have the ability to influence others, and that is a superpower. It’s time to start using your power for good. When you become aware of diminishing statements and how they kill your charisma, you can start reframing your communication in order to build genuine connections with the people around you. With practice, this will become second nature, and you’ll be able to use your newfound superpower for good in all areas of your life.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalog when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you? That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone? Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Influence Is Your Superpower: The Science of Winning Hearts, Sparking Change, and Making Good Things Happen By Zoe Chance
- Zoe Chance’s website
- Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success by Adam Grant
Check in with AJ and Johnny!