Networking is all about people (obviously), but it can be easy to forget that when we’re thinking about what we can get from the relationships in our lives while we should be thinking about what we can give – so how do you start networking with intentions and making sure they are the correct intentions?
What to Listen For
- Why do you need to write a personal mission statement, and how do you go about constructing one?
- Why are you likely starting your day off on the wrong foot and what simple step can you take to start every day off on the right foot?
- Why is it so important to develop a plan with intention in how you go about your day?
- What questions should you be asking yourself each morning to set yourself up for success?
- How do you stay in touch after networking events with the people you meet at them?
- Why is it important in professional as well as personal relationships to regularly make exciting plans weeks or months in advance?
- What is a simple but powerful idea you can use to start building a solid network right before your next conference or networking event?
- What value can you offer to someone farther up the ladder of success than you?
- How do you deal with difficult people at work who refuse to cooperate if they don’t get their way?
- What question can you ask someone who you’re struggling to work with in order to move past the tension and conflict?
We are human, and unless we make a conscious effort it can be easy for us to default to thinking about ourselves rather than others. However, when it comes to networking, the goal should not be to figure out “what you can get” from those you meet – but what you can give. You can make yourself stand out from the masses simply by putting effort into determining the value you can bring to those whose paths you cross. Understand the needs and wants, the hopes and fears of the people in your life, and go out of your way to help them and your network will know no bounds.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Hiring used to be hard. Multiple job sites, stacks of resumes, a confusing review process. But today, hiring can be easy and you only have to go to one place to get it done: ziprecruiter.com/charm. ZipRecruiter is so effective that 4 out of 5 of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site within the first day.
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!