Technology has an increasing influence on our lives, but did you know even small concentrated doses, such as working all day on a computer (aka a “tech coma”), can have a significant impact on your ability to interact with other people in healthy?
What to Listen For
- What is Eric Weinstein trying to do with his new podcast and why should you listen to it?
- What does the world of professional wrestling know about psychology that most psychology professors and researchers don’t?
- What is the Intellectual Dark Web (IDW) and what can you learn from about how to have a constructive conversation with people you disagree with?
- How do you break through disinformation when you’re constantly surrounded by “fake news”?
- How do you draw a boundary with your personal life if you have a life in the public eye?
- How is immigration being used to transfer wealth from one group to another and why should we restrict it?
- How do you take a platform’s algorithm into account when deciding where to get your news and information?
- How can you become a critical consumer of information in an era driven by narratives and algorithms?
- Are you defenseless in today’s day and age of corporations tasking incredibly smart individuals to do just about anything to get your attention, even if it means complete fabrication of events?
- How do you approach conversations when you know you’re going to disagree with the other person?
- What is bad diversity and how does it distract us from having otherwise constructive conversations?
- What is a tech coma, how do you know if you are in one, and how does it cause atrophy of your social muscles?
- How can perfectionism hurt the pursuit of your goals and what can you do if you feel you are a perfectionist?
As technology continues to permeate our everyday existence, it can be easy to let slip the skills that really matter when it comes to living healthy and happy lives. Humans are social creatures, and we rely on social interaction to bring us some of the most meaningful experiences and emotions while we’re alive. Unfortunately, with the way we have developed various technological systems, we are building walls between each of us while claiming the screens on those walls make us more connected than ever.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Hiring used to be hard. Multiple job sites, stacks of resumes, a confusing review process. But today, hiring can be easy and you only have to go to one place to get it done: ziprecruiter.com/charm. ZipRecruiter is so effective that 4 out of 5 of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site within the first day.
Clearbanc is changing the way entrepreneurs raise money with equity-free capital. They charge a small flat fee for the capital, and you pay them back using a win-win rev share. If you are doing over ten thousand a month in revenue, find out how you can receive Clearbanc capital by getting your 20-minute term sheet at clearbanc.com/CHARM.
Resources from this Episode
The Portal – a podcast by Eric Weinstein
Eric Weinstein on Twitter
Eric Weinstein on YouTube
News Diffs – Tracking Online News Over Time
Episode 772: Dan Ariely: How to Defeat Indecision and Regret
Save the Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You’ll Ever Need
Check in with AJ and Johnny!