(Download Episode Here)
About This Episode
Building habits is a gradual and effective process that can forever change your life when done right – but what goes into habits in the first place, what is the most effective way to break/build habits, and how can you use science and self-awareness to successfully build life-changing habits?
What to Listen For
- How are willpower and habits related and how can you use one to take advantage of the other?
- Why is willpower like a battery and what can you do to make sure you use that energy as effectively as possible?
- Why do so many people fail at accomplishing their New Years Resolutions within the first week and what can you do to avoid that fate?
- What do many of us do to set ourselves up for failure from the start?
- What are the two support systems of willpower and how can you ensure they’re working for you rather than against you?
- What role does self-compassion play in the successful development of habits and how can you start cultivating it today?
- What is the optimal number of habits to focus on at one time and how long does it take for each habit to become routine?
- How often should you practice a new habit in order to solidify it?
- What time of the day is best for building new habits?
- What is the one common theme we hear from the majority of our guests when it comes to how they achieved their success?
- Why is tracking your progress integral in developing new habits?
- What can you do to outsource your self-awareness and reduce the finite willpower you have to use?
The most energy efficient way to go through your day is when the day consists of established routines. In this case, energy is also equivalent to willpower, and the more changes you make to your daily routine, the more willpower it requires.
Therefore, the most effective way to start breaking old habits and building new ones is to start small. Understand the routines you use now, and implement one small change based on a habit you want to break or form. Then utilize the tools AJ and Johnny give you to ensure your success.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
HelloFresh are delicious, pre-measured ingredients and simple, chef-made recipes that we deliver to your doorstep every week. For a total of $60 off, that’s $20 off your first 3 boxes, visit HelloFresh.com/charm60 and enter CHARM60.
“Great protection. Fair prices. Easy to use. SimpliSafe is the right way to protect your home.” Go today to SimpliSafe.com/AOC to get your system today!
Resources from this Episode
Just 8% of People Achieve Their New Year’s Resolutions
New Years Resolution Statistics
The Radish Experiment
Self-esteem is Bullshit (Episode 729)
Effects of circadian cortisol on the development of a health habit.
Goals: How to Pick ‘em & Achieve ’em | Chris Tye-Walker (Episode 732
“Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do Things, Why We Don’t, and How to Make Any Change Stick” by Jeremy Dean, on the myth of building/breaking habits in 21 days
The Power of Accountability (Episode 703)
A Theory of Objective Self-Awareness (New York: Academic Press, 1972)
Check in with AJ and Johnny!
AJ on Instagram
Johnny on Twitter