About This Episode
Sugar Ray Leonard is regarded as one of the greatest boxers of all time, but did you know he battled social anxiety and substance abuse during his career? We all face obstacles in life on our individual paths to success, so how can we take a solid inventory of our strengths and weaknesses, surround ourselves with people who support and encourage us, and outwork everyone around us to ensure we achieve the success we want in life regardless of the hand we’ve been dealt?
What to Listen For
- How did Sugar Ray know he was going to win or lose a fight before it even started and how can you apply that knowledge to the challenges in your life?
- Sugar Ray’s approach his training compared to his competition
- Why is it important to remain adaptable throughout your professional and personal lives?
- When did Sugar Ray realize he was hooked on boxing and why was it related to his brother’s broken nose?
- How life is similar to a boxing match
- What can we all learn from getting punched in the face?
- How do you maintain perspective and groundedness when you start seeing success and why is it important to your future success?
- Sugar Ray discusses his morning routine and why it’s so conducive to increased productivity and focus during the day
- How did Sugar Ray overcome his social anxiety both inside and outside the ring to become one of the greatest boxers of all time?
- Why are mentors critical to your success in any line of work?
- What boxing lessons did Sugar Ray strive to instill in his children and what can we all learn from those lessons?
The path to success for anyone is never a straight shot. Often it is plagued with challenges, struggle, blood, sweat, and tears. In addition, we all have weaknesses to contend with as well. However, we can either use the hurdles in our path as excuses for why we can’t finish the race, or we can learn to jump over them. We can let life knock us off our feet and stay there, or we can keep getting back up and take the next punch with a smile.
Life is in many ways like a boxing match. We all go through different rounds, we’re not guaranteed any certain number of them, we win some and lose some, and no one will hit you as hard as life does. Stories like that of Sugar Ray exist to inspire us and show us what can be accomplished when your heart is in the right place, you believe in yourself, and you surround yourself with people you can count on to propel you to the top.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Great protection. Fair prices. Easy to use. SimpliSafe is the right way to protect your home.” Go today to SimpliSafe.com/AOC to get your system today!
Honest guidance to get the right vitamins. For 25% off your first month of personalized Care/of vitamins, visit TakeCareOf.com and enter CHARM.
Always Know What’s For Dinner. Cook Delicious, Hassle-Free Meals in 30 Minutes! Tasty Recipes & Fresh Ingredients Delivered To Your Door. For a total of $60 off, that’s $20 off your first 3 boxes, visit HelloFresh.com/charm60
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!
AJ on Instagram
Johnny on Twitter