About This Episode
Cultivating empathy is crucial in developing solid relationships in our personal and professional lives — but what exactly is it, how is it different from sympathy, why did Michael Ventura found a company based on it, and what steps can we start taking today to work on it?
What To Listen For
- Why getting it wrong is human and how it can enable you to embrace making mistakes.
- How does being vulnerable help to motivate those around you?
- What is the core principle of empathy?
- The seven archetypes of empathy as described in Michael Ventura’s book, Applied Empathy, and how knowing them can improve your relationships inside and outside the office.
- What one exercise can you start doing right now to be more present?
- How a severe injury and Eastern medicine altered the course of Michael Ventura’s life to lead him to found Sub Rosa and writing Applied Empathy.
- What empathy is NOT.
- Empathy versus sympathy and why sympathy leads to disconnection instead of connection.
- How do sociopaths use empathy against us and the red flags to look for.
- Michael Ventura explains how to cultivate empathy in larger groups.
- What one tip does Michael Ventura recommend to everyone to start improving their listening skills NOW which he also uses himself?
Empathy is the ability to put yourself in the shoes of another person in order to understand WHY that person is feeling a certain way. While it often gets mixed up with sympathy, the effects they have are polar opposites: empathy allows you to connect with others while sympathy leads to a disconnect.
Fortunately, once empathy is clearly defined and you understand the variety of examples as well as start taking steps to work on your ability to empathize, you will quickly notice the relationships in your life grow and strengthen.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR FULL SHOW NOTES AND FEATURED RESOURCES
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
HoneyBook makes it easy for you to book your ideal client faster, more frequently, and with less legwork. Art of Charm listeners can get 50% off the first year of Honeybook with promo code CHARM. Sign up at honeybook.com
RXBAR wants to build things the right way. RXBAR believes in the power of transparency, and lets the core ingredients do all the talking with all of them listed on the front of the packaging. For 25% off your first order, visit RXBAR.com/aoc AND ENTER PROMO CODE: AOC AT CHECKOUT.
Blinkist gives you access to key insights from 2,500+ bestselling nonfiction books, transformed into powerful packs you can read or listen to in just 15 minutes. Go to blinkist.com/aoc to start your FREE trial or get 3 months off your yearly plan.
Resources from this Episode
Applied Empathy by Michael Ventura
Sub Rosa – Michael Ventura’s company
Check in with AJ and Johnny!
AJ on Facebook
Johnny on Facebook