In today’s episode, we cover regret with Daniel Pink. Daniel is the author of several New York Times bestsellers, including Drive and To Sell is Human, and his newest book, The Power of Regret: How Looking Backward Moves Us Forward.
To have freedom of choice means we will experience regret, so what can you do to have a healthy relationship with your regrets, and how can you look at regret moving forward so you make the decisions that will lead to the least amount of regret?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is the best way to motivate a team working on a long term project?
- What is the single biggest motivator in someone’s day-to-day work and how can you use that to increase your productivity and your team’s productivity?
- What question can you ask to get unstuck when you’re not sure how to proceed in work and life?
- Is it possible to live life without any regrets – 13:19
- Why is it actually unhealthy to try to live without regrets and what benefit do regrets serve us?
- What is the difference between regret and rumination and why can one be good for you but not the other?
- What are the four categories of regrets?
- How do you know when you should reach out to someone you’ve lost touch with?
- How to use regret in a meaningful way – 38:00
- What strategies can you use to develop a healthy relationship with your regrets so they don’t stop you from enjoying life and becoming successful?
- Why is self-compassion important for neutralizing the harmful effects of regrets?
Regrets can suck, but there are a variety of ways to reframe regret and develop a healthy relationship with it so it guides you rather than torments you. When we feel regret over a decision we made, it’s important to spend time understanding why you feel that regret. Then think about the next time that decision might have to be made and commit to making it. Write it down. Tell your friends so they can hold you accountable if possible.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalogue when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Resources from this Episode
- Daniel Pink’s website
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
- The Power of Regret: How Looking Backward Moves Us Forward
Check in with AJ and Johnny!