In today’s episode, we cover the art of insubordination with Todd Kashdan. Todd is among the world’s top experts on the psychology of well-being, psychological strengths, mental agility, and social relationships.
Being a dissenter in today’s society is hard, but it is more important now than ever, so what can you do to raise questions about problems you see without being silenced, and how can you get your message across so people rally behind you instead of condemn you?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is the art of insubordination and why should you care?
- Why is it important to have a public square where people can meet and exchange ideas?
- The crucial importance of a clear consistent message – 12:07
- If political polarization isn’t our biggest issue in society, what is and how do we overcome it?
- How does technology speed up how quickly we self-segregate and isolate ourselves from different ideas and why is this dangerous to society?
- Why does the use of labels get us into trouble and how do we overcome the stigma of labels?
- Why We Must Understand the Art of Insubordination – 25:17
- Why is the act of dissent important?
- What can you do to persuade friends and family when you are a dissenter?
- How can you introduce dissent into the mainstream without getting canceled?
- How to be a Principled Rebel in Modern Society – 35:12
- What does it mean to be a principled rebel and why does every society need principled rebels?
- What is the best way to get your message across if you are part of a struggling minority influence?
- Why do we need to expose ourselves to ideas that run counter to our own beliefs and worldview?
Dissenting is about more than just holding ideas and beliefs counter to mainstream thought. You must be willing to get involved in mainstream conversations, listen to what people have to say, and provide a legitimate path forward so people can see where your ideas lead. This allows them to be more comfortable following your ideas and handling any discomfort that might come from trying to change their worldview and the world around them.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalog when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!