Do you want to have control over your mentality and reactions?
On today’s episode of the Art of Charm podcast, AJ Harbinger and Johnny Dzubak are joined by Dan Harris, the co-anchor of ABC News’ Nightline and author of the bestselling book 10% Happier. Dan discusses his work with 10% Happier, the importance of meditation, and it’s functionality.
Tune in to get in tune with your mental wellbeing.
- Check out Dan’s books,10% Happier and Meditation For Fidgety Skeptics
- Listen to the 10% Happier Podcast
- Try the 10% Happier App
What you’ll learn:
- [00:01:17] What is the benefit of living in a big city during the pandemic
- It’s a gamble to be in cities during the pandemic with high population density as it’s easier to pass illness where more people are gathered.
- [00:06:55] How do you get out of the loop of uncertainty in goal orientation and accountability towards future planning and events
- Focusing on mental health and doing activities like meditation to assist those efforts.
- [00:13:39] How did Dan’s mind become open to working with meditation
- There was a lot of evidence that strongly suggests that there’s a lot of health benefits to meditation.
- [00:18:55] What are the benefits of meditation
- Mindfulness, calming the mind, concentration, being able to act and feel consciously, slowing your blood pressure, boosting your immune system, rewiring key parts of your brain associated with stress, self-awareness, and focus in this era of distraction.
- [00:28:15] Why are we in this fight or flight system currently, and why is it running so high?
- It’s a human design flaw where we are inappropriately triggered by smaller confrontations.
- [00:31:42] What are guaranteed method for stress reduction when you’re feeling lonely, uncertain, despondent about the state of the world
- It’s useful to be informed but not drowning in constant updates and drama. Also giving and helping others can help make you feel validated.
- [00:47:18] Why does it feel so contradictory to practice mindfulness and compassion in giving you an edge in this neverending competition of life
- We misinterpret happiness and make assumptions. There’s a correlation to zen and passiveness. Having structure and focus in mind helps you win.
- [00:55:21] How can we balance being nice for selfish reasons
- Use wise selfishness and orient your life around service to be more successful. Boosting self-compassion can lead to compassion towards others.
- [01:07:56] Where do you progress once you get basic meditation down?
- There is no next level but to consistently work out the brain, and is effective in letting meditation keep your behavior and mindset healthy.
Check-in with AJ and Johnny!