In today’s episode, we cover the art of decision making with Shane Parrish. Shane is an expert on mental models and frameworks for effective decision-making, a former intelligence officer, founder of Farnam Street (the world’s most read blog on clear thinking), and the author of Clear Thinking: Turning Ordinary Moments into Extraordinary Results.
Every day is filled with countless decisions you don’t think twice about, but those little decisions have a larger impact than the “life-changing” decisions you spend days, weeks, or months contemplating, so what is the secret to ensure those everyday decisions you make are not pulling you away from the life you want, what 4 psychological traps must you avoid to make the best decisions, and what rituals can you put into place to propel you toward the life you want?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- How to use the small everyday decisions to get ahead of everyone worrying about the big “life-changing” decisions?
- What is more important than doing your best?
- Rules for success that 90% of people never follow – 15:05
- How do you ensure you only make the best decisions in stressful or high pressure situations?
- How to love doing something you hate – 27:47
- What systematic routine can you implement to turn any task into one you look forward to and excel at?
- What mental trick can you use to achieve any goal you set for yourself?
- Are you chasing the right goals? – 39:51
- How can you know if you’re chasing the goals YOU want for yourself or if you’re chasing the goals OTHERs want for you that you have internalized as your goals that you will later regret wasting your life in pursuit of?
- What proven template can you use to learn from every mistake you make and have made?
Planet Money is a different kind of world where the complex economy actually makes sense; where human stories supersede abstract theories. Listeners can learn, laugh, and be entertained. It’s economics, down to earth.
Tune in to Planet Money every week for entertaining stories and insights about how money shapes our world. Stories that can’t be found anywhere else.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Are you looking to improve your EQ with elite human dynamics?
17 years ago we decided to curate the latest science and research in human dynamics and deliver it free to you.
We’ve learned that…
Your ability to stand out, build rapport and influence the people around you is what gets you, noticed, respected and admired.
So whether or not you’re introverted or extroverted your communication skills can always be improved.
If influence and charm come natural for you, great but for others it’s a skill that can be learned.
After coaching over 10,000 clients on how to communicate powerfully we’ve learned a thing or two about what it actually takes to be influential and persuasive.
We’ve packaged these insights inside a masterclass Social Capital Networking. And, as a thank you for being a podcast listener, we want to give you this kit for FREE.
Inside Social Capital Networking, you’ll get three resources to help build high-value relationships quickly and grow your social capital.
To get your hands on this kit and immediately start improving your relationships, go to theartofcharm.com/capital
Curious about your influence level?
Get your Influence Index Score today!
Take this 60-second quiz to find out how your influence stacks up against top performers at theartofcharm.com/influence
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you?
That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone?
Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Clear Thinking: Turning Ordinary Moments into Extraordinary Results by Shane Parrish
- Creating a Decision Journal: Template And Example Included