In today’s episode, we cover setting boundaries with Nedra Tawwab. Nedra is a licensed therapist, sought-after relationship expert who has practiced relationship therapy for 14 years, and author of the instant New York Times bestseller “Set Boundaries, Find Peace”.
Boundaries are a challenging concept to implement for many, but it can be simplified once you understand them, so what are boundaries, what does it mean to communicate and defend your boundaries, and how do you handle situations where people are repeatedly crossing your boundaries?
What to Listen For
- Introduction to Boundaries – 0:00
- Why did Nedra Tawwab write a book on boundaries?
- Why is boundary setting pushed out of us as children only to be demanded of us as adults, and what can you do to reclaim your ability to set boundaries so you can avoid unhealthy relationships?
- What does it mean to set a boundary and how do you know when you should set a boundary?
- Respecting Your Boundaries – 11:00
- What should you say if you need to back out of a commitment?
- Should you feel bad about backing out of a commitment?
- What leads someone to ghost you and how should you handle it?
- Building & Defending Your Boundaries – 24:50
- What should you say if someone disrespects your boundary?
- How do you set new boundaries with someone?
- What can you do to show up for your team while setting healthy boundaries so you can get your work done?
- Healthy vs Unhealthy Consequences for Boundaries – 34:40
- How do you know when a relationship should end if the other person keeps crossing your boundaries?
- How do you handle family members who are unwilling or unable to respect your boundaries?
Boundaries are important because they allow us to build healthy relationships with people who respect us as individuals. If you don’t communicate to someone what it means to respect you and treat you well, you’re gambling on their ability to read your mind. I don’t know any mind readers so I’d call that a bad gamble.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalog when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Resources from this Episode
- Nedra Tawwab on Instagram
- Nedra Tawwab’s website
- Set Boundaries, Find Peace by Nedra Tawwab
- Set Boundaries Workbook
Check in with AJ and Johnny!