In today’s episode, we cover getting unstuck with Adam Alter. Adam is a renowned academic and speaker known for his work in marketing and psychology, the New York Times bestselling author of Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked and Drunk Tank Pink: And Other Unexpected Forces That Shape How We Think, Feel, and Behave. His newest book is Anatomy of a Breakthrough: How to Get Unstuck When It Matters Most.
It can feel crippling to get stuck in life and not know how to move forward, so what psychological traps keep you stuck and how do you avoid them, how do you manage your emotions so you don’t waste time staying stuck longer than necessary, and what can you do to create a hot streak every time you get unstuck?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- How can you recognize when you get stuck so you don’t waste your life away?
- What is the secret Lionel Messi uses to overcome his performance anxiety?
- Your mind is tricking you into staying stuck – 16:42
- What are the psychological traps that keep you stuck in life and how do you avoid them or get out of them?
- Managing your emotions to get unstuck – 27:10
- How do your emotions help you or hinder you when it comes to feeling stuck in life and how do you deal with them?
- Fishy life lessons – 39:25
- What can we learn from specific fish about the value of patience and always trying to be first?
- How do you use failure to get unstuck?
- Creating your own hot streak – 44:16
- What can you do to create a hot streak of success in your career regardless of where you are in life?
Planet Money is a different kind of world where the complex economy actually makes sense; where human stories supersede abstract theories. Listeners can learn, laugh, and be entertained. It’s economics, down to earth.
Tune in to Planet Money every week for entertaining stories and insights about how money shapes our world. Stories that can’t be found anywhere else.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Are you looking to improve your EQ with elite human dynamics?
17 years ago we decided to curate the latest science and research in human dynamics and deliver it free to you.
We’ve learned that…
Your ability to stand out, build rapport and influence the people around you is what gets you, noticed, respected and admired.
So whether or not you’re introverted or extroverted your communication skills can always be improved.
If influence and charm come natural for you, great but for others it’s a skill that can be learned.
After coaching over 10,000 clients on how to communicate powerfully we’ve learned a thing or two about what it actually takes to be influential and persuasive.
We’ve packaged these insights inside a masterclass Social Capital Networking. And, as a thank you for being a podcast listener, we want to give you this kit for FREE.
Inside the Social Capital Networking, you’ll get three resources to help build high-value relationships quickly and grow your social capital.
To get your hands on this kit and immediately start improving your relationships, go to theartofcharm.com/capital
Curious about your influence level?
Get your Influence Index Score today!
Take this 60-second quiz to find out how your influence stacks up against top performers at theartofcharm.com/influence
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you?
That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone?
Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Adam Alter’s website
- Anatomy of a Breakthrough: How to Get Unstuck When It Matters Most
- Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked
- Drunk Tank Pink: And Other Unexpected Forces that Shape How We Think, Feel, and Behave