In today’s episode, we tackle empathy with Michael Ventura, Paul Bloom, Geoffrey Cohen, and Rick Hanson. Michael Ventura is the author of Applied Empathy: The New Language of Leadership. Paul Bloom is a professor at the University of Toronto and author of Against Empathy: The Case for Rational Compassion. Geoffrey Cohen is a Stanford professor and author of Belonging: The Science of Creating Connection and Bridging Divides. And Rick Hanson is a psychologist and senior fellow at UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center and NYT bestselling author of Taking in the Good.
How can empathy revolutionize your personal and professional relationships? Have you ever considered that empathy could be more than just understanding others’ feelings? What if we told you that empathy is not just about being nice, but about wielding a deep, objective perspective that could unlock your true potential and transform your approach to social interactions? Discover how to identify your empathy archetype, why empathy is crucial in leadership, and how it can be a superpower in your interactions. Are you ready to challenge your perceptions and cultivate a skill that guarantees meaningful connections and success?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is the most common misconception about empathy?
- How do you develop empathy and why does it seem like so many people lack it these days?
- Do psychopaths have empathy? – 13:02
- What do most people get wrong about empathy and sympathy?
- What are the 7 empathy archetypes?
- Forging a strong and confident brain – 19:12
- How do you strengthen your brain and make it confident, and why would you want to?
- What tiny habit can you work on for moments each day that will enable you to build relationships with whoever you want?
- The approach to empathy most people avoid – 31:39
- What is the most time-efficient way to maximize your empathy?
- What is the best way to stand up for yourself if someone says something that makes you or someone else uncomfortable?
- Leaders ignore this one skill to the detriment of their business – 39:31
- How can leaders and team members integrate empathy into their work environment to improve dynamics and outcomes?
- What 15 minute exercise can you do every morning to cultivate deeper empathy?
A Word From Our Sponsors
Bombas crafts ridiculously comfortable socks, tees, and underwear, and for every item sold, they donate one to help those facing homelessness — over 100 million essentials donated so far. Not only are their clothes designed for ultimate comfort with features like arch support and buttery-soft fabric, but they also ensure customer satisfaction with a 100% Happiness Guarantee for hassle-free returns and exchanges. Ready to get comfy and give back? Head over to Bombas.com/CHARM and use code CHARM for twenty percent off your first purchase!
$75 SPONSORED JOB CREDIT to upgrade your job post at Indeed.com/CHARM. Offer good for a limited time.
Ready to start your ecommerce business? Sign up for a one-dollar-per-month trial period at shopify.com/charm. Grow your business–no matter what stage you’re in.
Curious about your influence level?
Get your Influence Index Score today!
Take this 60-second quiz to find out how your influence stacks up against top performers at theartofcharm.com/influence
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you?
That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone?
Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!