In today’s episode, we cover the brain with Lisa Barrett, PhD. Lisa is among the top one percent most cited scientists in the world for her revolutionary research in psychology and neuroscience, and is the author of the best-selling Seven and a Half Lessons About the Brain.
As we learn more about the brain we realize how mistaken we once were, so what have we been getting wrong about the brain, what have we learned, and how can you use that information to eliminate the unhelpful patterns and bad habits holding you back from living a fulfilling life?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- Where did the myth about the lizard brain come from and why is it such a popular belief?
- Moving beyond the Lizard Brain – 10:47
- What is the correct way to think about the conflict between rationality and what we mistakenly believe is the lizard brain so we can work toward becoming the people we want to be?
- How is our brain functionality connected to our metabolism and how can you use that information to increase your brain’s performance and longevity?
- Busting the Memory Myth – 26:10
- How do our memories influence the way we operate in life and what can you do to overwrite old patterns that aren’t helping you anymore?
- How does your metabolism
- Do we have control over our actions? – 35:10
- How does your body react to things before you are consciously aware of them and how can you use that to recognize unhelpful patterns?
- What can you do to deconstruct unhelpful patterns and habits, and make it easier to build healthier habits?
- Why does anxiety make things harder? – 43:30
- What can you do to make it easier to do things that would normally cause you a lot of stress and anxiety?
- How do our brains wire to connect and influence the brains of the people we interact with?
Science has shown us that our words and behavior have a measurable impact on the health of people around us. This means if we want to have a positive impact on those we care about, it’s crucial that we are thoughtful and intentional when interacting with others. Be mindful of the words you use, the eye contact you make, the body language you use, and how you treat people. Every person you influence will in turn influence you, so if you want to live in a positive, supporting environment, make sure you are treating others with love, respect, and encouragement.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalog when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you? That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone? Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Lisa Barrett’s website
- Seven And A Half Lessons About The Brain by Lisa Barrett
- How Emotions are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain by Lisa Barrett
Check in with AJ and Johnny!