Online dating was once dismissed as a pastime for desperate losers, but today, it’s a multi-billion dollar industry that appeals to people from all walks of life and even results in quite a few marriages. In fact, research shows that there are 54 million single people in the United States, and 40 million have tried online dating! That’s pretty mainstream.
If you’ve thought about online dating yourself, or if you have tried and failed, you may just need to make a few tweaks to the ways in which you meet and present yourself to women in cyberspace. Here are some essential online dating tips for men. Try putting them into practice and see how it boosts your online dating success:
1) Write an intriguing headline. Every online dating profile starts with a headline, and if yours doesn’t stand out, you’re not going to get the results you want. Say something that will pique her interest, and stay away from anything that suggests desperation, like “Last chance” or “Hope this works.” In other words, try to be fun and unique without being needy.
2) Choose photos wisely. In other words, select the photos that best represent you. Avoid the cheesy MySpace self-portraits and don’t post photos where you’re not smiling. For best results, use your photos to show your fun side, maybe engaging in your favorite hobbies, such as hiking, playing a sport or performing music. Photographs with pets can work extremely well. Avoid party photos.
3) Be specific about what you want. Do you have a type? Perhaps you like taller women, or women who have interests similar to your own. This shows that you won’t just settle for any woman, and can be very intriguing. The more specific you are, the more she can feel that she’s going to be attractive to you.
4) Be specific about your interests. In the “Who You Are” section, take the time to really point out the things that you love. Avoid boring generalizations like “Willing to try new things” and “This seems fun.” She has seen these tired lines a million times, and they aren’t going to make a good impression.
5) Make it personal. When describing what you want, talk directly to your reader, as though you’re creating your listing specifically for that one special person. Use the word “You” as often as possible. For instance, “I love snowboarding, and I hope you do too.” This will help you to build an instant connection online.
6) Include a call to action. In sales, calls to action are very important, because statistically, people are far more likely to respond when a listing includes a call to action. You might conclude with something like, “If you like what you hear, please drop me a message!”