In today’s episode, we cover self-esteem with Dr. Steven Hayes. Steven Hayes is an American clinical psychologist and Nevada Foundation Professor at the University of Nevada, Reno Department of Psychology, where he is a faculty member in their Ph.D. program in behavior analysis, and the author nearly 670 scientific articles and 47 books including the best selling Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life.
The last couple of generations grew up in a world that focused on high self-esteem, but what exactly is self-esteem, why was it catastrophically wrong to focus on it, and what should you strive for when raising kids?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is self-esteem?
- Why is it dangerous to artificially inflate self-esteem?
- What is that critical voice you hear and how does it affect your self-esteem?
- What is confidence – 18:30
- Why are many people who appear confident not?
- How does social media make it difficult for you to be self compassionate and stay true to yourself?
- Stop focusing on self-esteem – 30:20
- Why is it catastrophic to focus on teaching kids to have a high self esteem?
- What can you do to develop your self-compassion to boost your confidence?
- Friends, values, and life fulfillment – 49:42
- Why are values important and how do your friends influence your values for better or worse?
- Is too much self-compassion a bad thing?
We’ve seen that it can be dangerous to artificially inflate self-esteem and that it is much more important to focus on teaching kids how to have a healthy self-compassion. When we develop our self-compassion, we become better equipped to stay true to ourselves, even when faced with difficult situations or negative feedback from others. With values clarification and by choosing friends who share our positive values, we can work together to encourage each other in living out our best selves.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you? That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone? Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life by Steven Hayes, Ph. D.
- Is Self Compassion More Important Than Self Esteem by Steven Hayes, Ph. D.
- Alex Banayan Episode
- Self-compassion protects against the negative effects of low self-esteem: A longitudinal study in a large adolescent sample by Sarah Marshall
- Steven Hayes TED Talk
Check in with AJ and Johnny!