In today’s episode, we cover social media with Dr. Nicholas Kardaras. Dr. Kardaras is an Ivy League educated psychologist, best-selling author, internationally renowned speaker and an expert on mental health, addiction, and the impacts of our digital age.
Social media has gripped us by the neck with socially inept nerds calling the shots, so what exactly is going on, how is social media amplifying mental health issues, and what steps can we take to break social media addiction?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is a social media algorithm and why can they be dangerous to society?
- What is the Online Safety Act and how does it serve to protect us from algorithms on social media?
- The social world is engineered by the socially inept – 16:42
- Why is there so much friction between what is going on in the real world and the virtual world?
- How does social media amplify mental health issues and pressure young people to imitate the mentally unwell?
- Who should we trust – 28:46
- How do we know who to trust online and why is it risky to allow anyone to determine what is true and false?
- Are younger generations more fragile than older generations?
- Social media and depression – 41:46
- How does social media use lead to depression?
- Does an easier or harder life lead to a more fulfilling and happy life?
- What practical steps can you take to deal with social media addiction?
Social media algorithms are created with the intention of getting users to spend more time on a platform, but they can have harmful consequences. By curating content and limiting the exposure to certain views, social media platforms can create an echo chamber that amplifies mental health issues and leads young people to believe that imitating the mentally unwell is normal behavior. Social media use can lead to depression, anxiety, and other mental health problems.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you? That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone? Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Dr. Nicholas Kardaras’s website
- Digital Madness: How Social Media Is Driving Our Mental Health Crisis–and How to Restore Our Sanity by Dr. Nicholas Kardaras
Check in with AJ and Johnny!