In today’s episode, we cover emotion efficacy with Dr. Aprilia West. Dr. West is a psychologist and executive and team leadership coach who works extensively with artists, creatives, and entertainment execs to increase their emotional intelligence, psychological flexibility, and resilience.
Emotions influence our thoughts and actions everyday, so what can you do to understand them, understand where they come from, and understand how to manage them so they don’t lead you to make harmful decisions?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What is emotion efficacy?
- What is the emotional default world and how does it shape your behavior?
- The importance of emotion efficacy – 13:33
- What is the difference between feelings and emotions?
- The signs of low emotion efficacy – 27:00
- How do you know if you have low emotion efficacy?
- What questions can you ask yourself to understand where you have room to grow emotionally?
- Five Steps to Increase Emotion Efficacy – 35:10
- What can you do to increase your emotion efficacy?
- What does it look like to have great emotion efficacy in times of intense uncertainty?
- The Loneliness Epidemic – 40:05
- What role does emotion efficacy play in your ability to connect with others and build friendships?
Emotion efficacy is the ability to understand your emotions and harness them so you can align your actions with your values. It’s what allows you to develop the mindset to stay focused on what matters while navigating challenging situations. In times of intense uncertainty, it can be one of the most important things you possess.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalog when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you? That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone? Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Dr Aprilia West’s website
- What You Feel Is Not All There Is by Dr. Aprilia West
- Dr Aprilia West on Instagram
Check in with AJ and Johnny!