In today’s episode, we cover leadership with John Bacon. John is an American journalist, a sports commentator on TV and radio, and author of books on sports and business including his latest best seller Let Them Lead: Unexpected Lessons in Leadership from America’s Worst High School Hockey Team.
Coaching a poor performing team to victory is no easy task, so what can you learn from a high school hockey coach who did just that, how high should you set expectations, and what can you do to set them up to lead themselves to success?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- Why did John Bacon decide to coach the worst high school hockey team in America and how did he take them from losers to champions?
- The Value of High Expectations – 15:15
- Why is it important to set high expectations for your team?
- What does it mean to separate the behavior from the results and why is it important for you to understand if you want to be a great leader?
- Rules and Leadership – 30:18
- What is the best approach to set rules and regulations as a leader and how can rules hurt your team’s performance?
- What’s the best way to deal with parents as a high school athletics coach?
- Questions, Questions, Questions – 42:10
- How should you handle questions and concerns from your team to get the best out of them?
- How to allow your team to lead themselves to achieve their goals?
Leaders should set high expectations for their team and give them the freedom to lead themselves. When team members know what is expected of them, they will be able to work more productively towards common goals. Giving your team the ability to find their own solutions and make decisions will help foster a sense of ownership and responsibility. This in turn can motivate team members to go above and beyond what is expected of them.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you? That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone? Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don’t crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you’ll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- John Bacon’s website
- Let Them Lead: Unexpected Lessons in Leadership from America’s Worst High School Hockey Team
- John Bacon on twitter
Check in with AJ and Johnny!