Welcome to Minisode Monday, where we kick off the week with something quick and actionable — to make you more magnetic and effective — that you can implement right away.
Um, like, so today we’re going to talk about filler words — why you should avoid using them, and how to shed them for good.
Let’s get to it!
The Cheat Sheet:
- When you’re trying to convey a message with credibility, it’s not just what you say, but how you say it. Overuse of filler words like “um” and “like” are lessening the impact of that message.
- Even if we think we’ve got a handle on filler words by consciously choosing not to use them, tension and stress can make us forget.
- Like any other bad habits, the filler words we use need to be attacked with deliberate practice.
- You may not even be aware of the filler words you use. Record your side of a few phone conversations using an app like TapeACall or Call Recorder for Skype.
- Get a simple audio editor like the free Audacity; edit out all of the filler words from your conversations above.
- Do this with a twenty-minute call every week and the editing alone should drive home how much work you’re putting into generating filler words that have no place in meaningful conversation. A gap of silence is always better than meaningless filler words.
- To learn more about social dynamics and productivity hacks, take the Art of Charm Challenge by clicking here, or text AOC to 38470.
- Also be sure to check out our Social Capital Intensive here!
- Let us know about how you put today’s Minisode Monday into practice! Tweet with @TheArtofCharm in your response or write to Jordan directly: [email protected] (he actually reads everything)!
Take the Art of Charm Challenge by clicking here, or text AOC to 38470. We’ll take you step by step to becoming better at making personal and professional connections, becoming a better networker, increasing your personal social capital and charisma. This is for both men and women!
Listen to The Art of Charm, Forbes, and hundreds of your favorite podcasts with the free PodcastOne app (on iOS and Android) here!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Now save a whopping 50% on new webhosting packages here with HostGator by using coupon code CHARM!
You’ll also like:
- The Art of Charm Bootcamps
- Best of The Art of Charm Podcast
- The Art of Charm Toolbox
- The Art of Charm Toolbox for Women
- Find out more about the team who makes The Art of Charm podcast here!
On your phone? Click here to write us a well-deserved iTunes review and help us outrank the riffraff!